Mum and Baby Yoga is a chance for mum and baby to enjoy the benefits of Yoga together. Mums benefit from postures and relaxation that help with postnatal recovery, whilst bringing a sense of calm to you and your little one. Working with the body and mind simultaneously to support you in your post-natal recuperation.
Your baby’s development is supported by Yoga, songs and movement which helps to relieve common ailments such as colic, wind and constipation. Baby Yoga also develops muscle tone, co-ordination, mind and body development and promotes deep sleep.
“The yoga is a complete lifeline, supporting me through the more challenging moments and keeping me sane!”
– Rachel mother to Joshua aged 10 months
Classes are taught in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere with the understanding that sometimes babies just need to cry, feed, cuddle or sleep whilst others prefer lots of physical stimulation and movement.
“I really enjoy being able to do something for myself- the yoga has really helped ease out my shoulders and back, to regain tone and strength and also just to help me feel more relaxed and confident with my son. Sammy loves the sessions, after our first week he had the most amazing long sleep – heaven!”
The yoga is suitable for beginners as well as those with more experience, and is a safe and appropriate form of exercise for the postnatal period.
Our teacher Laura is highly experienced and adept at helping women recuperate physically and mentally after birth.
“The classes, and you, have been fantastic for us. Steering us through tiredness and adversity with warmth and humour. Thank you!”
For mum and baby yoga – please bring a blanket for your baby to lie on.
Further Information and FAQs
- We recommend waiting 6 weeks after a vaginal birth, and 12 weeks after a Cesarean before coming to class
- In general these classes are suitable for babies from 4 weeks through to walking or around 1 year old. We accommodate the different needs of each baby with practices to support their development and well-being. You can bring your baby whenever you feel ready. This doesn’t involve having the ‘perfect’ baby that isn’t going to cry.
- If you’re running late don’t worry, we don’t expect mums to always be on time, so come in your own time and join in.
- We have some space for buggies in the reception area and changing rooms which may need to be folded.
- You are welcome to feed your baby at any time, and wherever you feel comfortable in the studio. You are welcome to feed in the studio during class, or you can sit downstairs. We have chairs available and you can use any props you need to make yourself and your little one comfortable. We have a kettle if you need to warm a bottle. Please ask the receptionist or teacher if you need anything.
- If your baby is asleep when you arrive, you bring them upstairs or leave them safely downstairs with our receptionist.
- If you do not identify as female but have given birth you are very welcome.
If you have any questions, contact us
“Both I and my tiny 6 week old son had become stressed- he wasn’t sleeping well either in the day or in the night and I felt desperate. During our first class Laura showed me some methods to hold him and by focusing on relaxing myself through breathing and gentle movement the whole vicious cycle shifted. By the end of class he was fast asleep and both I and my son were transformed!”
– Stephanie and Otto